Do Visit my very own 'Food' Blog' for delicious meals

Monday 16 December 2019

MPdiaries Part 3..Orchha


-->
The day was spent moving from Gwalior to Khajuraho. On our route, we stopped at Jhansi and Orchha. The bus was comfortable but the roads were bad. Most of the roads are being redeveloped, There is construction everywhere to built better roads, some of the cities of MP have plans to become smart cities.  On our way, we stopped at Jhansi ro see the Jhansi fort. There was some rally and the road was blocked.



Many of them walked up to the palace to have a dekho, but I was in no mood to climb the steep hill, therefore I just waited in the bus. However the guide came to the bus to tell me the story of Rani Laxmibai of Jhansi. He said that she married at the age of 11years, was widowed by 22years and died at 27yrs. It is amazing that she accomplished so much in such a short life. Later, my friends told me about the palace and the artifacts they saw at the museum and that I had missed it.



Our next stop was at Orchha. We stopped to visit Jahangir Palace and Raj Praveen Mahal. We crossed a long bridge to enter the huge wooden gate leading to the stone and mud steep path.



I needed help to navigate, specially to walk up the stairs that had no railings. We entered a large courtyard, that was surrounded by smaller rooms. Only two rooms had beautiful paintings on the walls and on the ceilings (belonging to the  king and the queen). Raj Mahal was occupied back then (in another century) by king and his six wives. However only the senior most queen enjoyed all the privileges, she had large room with beautiful painting, while others had just bare bedrooms.



There were stone stairways leading up to top floors and then to the terrace. The guide told us that queens spend  most of their time in their room, or on the  terrace or in the courtyards. Their parameters of movement was restricted to only inside the palace. (how lonely their life must have been, sometimes I wonder about that)



We climbed more steps to reach Jahangir Palace. The architecture is beautiful, with hanging balconies and turquoise blue tiles, built in 17th century as a warm reception to Jahangir, but climbing more steps to see the interior of the palace was not on my list.



The left side of the building was under redevelopment. It was being converted into a hotel. Nice way to monetise on these artistic building, which,  otherwise would stand neglected. 




Luckily I saw some cars parked in the driveway, so I discovered that there was no need to climb down those steps to reach the bus that was parked at quite a distance. I called up the auto service and took a ride back.



We stopped at the roadside for freshly brewed tea, that was very refreshing and then drove towards Khajuraho

To be continued………..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please write your name while making comments... be kind :)

Featured post

The Year That It Was - 2015

I have poor memory therefore I tend to forget the good and the bad times easily. What is past is forgotten, each day I try my best that my ...

"I shall seize the fate by its throat....

"I shall seize the fate by its throat....
"I shall seize the fate by its throat....It shall certainly not bend nor crush me completely"

Out of Box

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails